4 Ways To Mitigate Mold Damage After Flooding
Severe water loss causes mold in a Acworth,GA home
Mitigate Mold Damage
Flooding can cause serious damage to a home in Acworth, GA , and secondary damage also poses major risks. Mold may begin to develop in as little as 24 to 48 hours if homeowners don't take measures to eliminate standing water. Here are four ways to mitigate damage caused by flooding and reduce the likelihood of mold growth.
1. Remove Water As Soon As Possible
Flood water can cause primary damage to building materials and contents in your home. You can try to remove water yourself with brooms, towels, or a wet-vac, but water damage mitigation experts have access to specialized pumps that can complete the job quickly.
2. Disinfect Hard Surfaces Exposed to Black Water
Flood water is considered black water, as it may contain potentially harmful bacteria, chemicals, and heavy metals. Experts will put on personal protective equipment to clean and disinfect hard surfaces. This process can reduce the risk of secondary damage.
3. Have Experts Handle Porous Materials and Contents
Porous materials can be more difficult to clean, disinfect, and dry. This means that contents such as carpet can significantly raise the risk of mold growth. Allow mitigation experts to recommend the best methods for dealing with these materials. Some items may be capable of being cleaned with specialized equipment and others will need to be replaced.
4. Thoroughly Dry the Affected Area
Once all standing water has been removed and an area is clean and disinfected, it should be completely dried. Mold requires moisture in order to thrive. Mitigation specialists may use dehumidifiers to lower humidity levels and draw traces of moisture out of materials.
These are four ways to limit the risk of mold growth after flooding in Acworth, GA. You can follow these steps yourself, but time is of the issue. Water damage mitigation experts will act quickly and effectively to stop mold from forming.
How to Clean Up After Fire Strikes Your Business
Fire affects wiring which can lead to a short circuit
Three Steps In How To Clean Up After Fire
When an electrical fire strikes your business in Kennesaw,GA, it’s important to have a plan in place for cleaning up the mess. Often the task can seem overwhelming, but following these three steps may help it seem more manageable.
1. Unplug All Appliances
Unplugging all your electrical appliances can help save them and your data. Fire often affects wiring which can lead to a short circuit. This in turn can damage your electronics. Unplugging your computers, copier, printers, and even the break-room fridge may prevent further damage and make computer cleanup easier.
In some cases the fire may also have led to water damage. This can happen due to the fire suppression system or a burst pipe. If this is the case you may want to turn off the building’s electricity altogether.
2. Remove Any Standing Water
In the event the electrical fire has led to water damage as well you will need to remove any standing water from the area first. A fire and water damage restoration service can help with this process as well as the rest of your cleaning needs. In some cases the damaged area will also need to be sanitized.
3. Clean Office Items with the Appropriate Methods
Depending on whether your items have water or smoke damage, how much, and the type of item in question, the cleaning method may vary. Some items can be wiped off with a cleaning solution while others may need to be soaked or treated with a special cleaner. It’s best to consult the cleaning instructions for each piece, and contact a professional if necessary.
If an electrical fire in Kennesaw,GA, has occurred at your business following these steps may help. Turn of the electricity and take care of any water damage remembering to sanitize the area if needed. Then clean or replace damaged items with the method appropriate to the item type. Remember, a professional may be able to help with any part of this process.